[Coco] A New CoCo Forum, just what we need?

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Tue Oct 17 10:08:17 EDT 2017

To clarify my own position, I was merely trying to offer some perspective
on the modern realities of getting a new forum going and - more importantly
- thriving. I agree 100% that it's a superior method of search and
archiving, and I think a superior way of discussing things, but it doesn't
mean people will use it. As we know, tastes, needs, and resources competing
for our attention change and evolve. For whatever reasons, unless you were
already established in that type of "golden era" more than a decade back I
referenced, it's incredibly difficult to get a foothold. Forums are just
that interesting anymore for whatever reason (most likely the rise of
social media sites like Facebook, which can handle every kind of
interaction, including specialty ones like this). This will be an extra
challenge because of all the already existing and thriving resources -
including this mailing list - that already exist for this community. Again,
it doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted, it just means that the reality
is the chances for success are very slim. Good luck.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade, Inc.
<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books
<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1> and

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Steve Strowbridge <ogsteviestrow at gmail.com>
wrote:

 <snip>

> In the broad sense, I see this as a potential resource, with potential
> value and benefit, and I'd prefer to actually put a little bit of the
> energy already spent debating into perhaps actually logging in, taking a
> look, and seeing if looks like it may be of even a small benefit to anyone.
>
> The one advantage we have with a privately owned and run forum, is we don't
> have to worry about Yahoo taking it down, and we have complete control over
> the structure and content, and I can open up the size of file attachments
> as big as I want, so we have some limited form of super powers in this
> small kingdom.
>

> * Another thing to consider, is that, even if the same idea failed in the
> past, we are now in the present, and have the power to shape our future.
> I've seen a lot of increased community involvement and strengthening in the
> past 2 years, and a much louder megaphone exists for all the various
> projects to be promoted, so it might possibly be the best time in history
> for this to be given a shot, or we could continue to still do (or not do)
> things as they've always been.*

<snip>