[Coco] CoCo PSG initial release - assembly programmers needed

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:03:44 EDT 2017

CoCo PSG initial release - assembly programmers needed.

I’d like to let everyone know that I have a number of CoCo-PSGs
available for experimenters and assembly language programmers
who would like to work with digital sound on the CoCo.

These cartridges add a YM2149 sound chip, additional memory,
and joystick ports to the CoCo.

If you’re interested in one of these, it’s important to remember that
we face a bit of a catch 22 in getting a new sound card off of the ground
for the CoCo.

No software exists currently that uses the CoCo PSG, except for a
couple of things I’ve written, or any other sound chip on the CoCo,
so these would be of little use to non-programmers at this point.
However, we face this situation in trying to get any new sound hardware
(and even most new hardware) off the ground on our platform.

The only software written currently is a media player module that allows
playback of converted YM sound files (register dumps) on the CoCo SDC
Media Player, a firmware flashing utility, and firmware with basic tests
for the onboard RAM and joystick ports.

So with this in mind, I’m offering an initial small run of these in the hopes
that we can get some programmers interested in adding support to
their games, or writing other software to support it.

I’m offering them at minimal cost for this initial batch in the hopes of
getting something started; $25 for the assembled circuit board, or $40
including a 3D printed case.

So if you’re an assembly programmer who’d be interested in adding
classic hardware based sound and digital joysticks to a game, or
in experimenting with AY / YM style music on the CoCo, then one of
these may be for you.

Please let me know if you’re interested in getting one of these, writing
some code, and helping to bring some new features to the CoCo.  :)

- Ed

User’s Manual (work in progress)..
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnRXE5eUlSNDJIMDQ <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGnRXE5eUlSNDJIMDQ>>

Video of basic firmware tests…