[Coco] Coco3 Memory Tester Program?

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Mon Oct 2 19:54:03 EDT 2017

Hi Jim!
As I don't have a Coco 3 with greater than 512KB of ram, I tested the memtest.dsk file I have from Robert Gault in VCC v2.01.  I remembered memtest.bin tested up to 2MB of ram in a Coco 3 and VCC so I loaded up VCC with 8MB of ram just to see what the actual limit is.  I executed the following command.
loadm"memtest"<enter>
This command will load the specified file from the default drive which in this case is Drive 0.
Well I was very surprised to see that it detected the 8MB of ram configured in VCC and tested it all perfectly.  Any expansion unit up to 8MB that you care to build is testable by this program as long as the expansion unit follows the standard Coco 3 guidelines for memory devices greater than 512KB that has been previously created for us.  I'm very interested in finding out if memtest.bin will work on the 8MB expansion board that Paul Barton created.  Paul may have been the individual that created that new standard for the Coco 3.  I just don't remember.  Here is the link for memtest.dsk in my dropbox.
< https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ftgb875xyeejs9/MEMTEST.DSK?dl=0>
This should solve all your memory testing problems.  Have fun!

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc