[Coco] CoCoSDC

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 26 22:26:33 EST 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Nelson
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:39 PM
To: coco at maltedmedia.com
Subject: [Coco] CoCoSDC

> Steve Ostrom
> Sun Nov 26 13:25:37 EST 2017
>
> I reviewed the Coco SDC user guide, but didn't see the answer to these
> questions.  I'm sorry if I missed it, but hopefully someone can supply the
> answers.
>
> I have 30-40 unique hard drive backups of my Coco software, and I'd like
> transfer these to SanDisk cards on my Coco SDC.  What is the optimum SD
> card
> size?  I have to assume that a large card might have a lot of wasted
> memory.
> Can I store more than 256 Coco disk images per SD card?  Assuming I'm
> limited to 256 disks per card, what would be the optimum SD card size?  My
> current plan is to buy one SD card for each HD backup.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --- Steve ---
You can probably put a lot more than 256 images on one card, especially if
you organize the images into subdirectories. It is even possible that you
might be able to put it all on one SD card. So I can better understand and
help, are these floppy or hard disk images? OS-9/NitrOS9 or Disk Extended
Color Basic? If hard disk images, how big was the drive? If floppies, are
the disks 35 track, 40 track, or 80 track? Single or double sided, or maybe
a mix?

***************

Barry, these backups were originally normal Coco files stored on about 30-40
SyQuest 135 EZ Drive cartridges using The Cloud-9 SCSI HD system and
HDB-DOS.  Each of the 30-40 cartridges contains the equivalent 256 Coco
disks.  Many years ago, Boisy then transferred these files to a CD, but
neither he nor I remembered what format was used to do this transfer.  I
then sent Guillaume Major all these raw data files created by Boisy, and he
was able to convert them all to .dsk files.

Now I'd like to take all these .dsk files and put them on the Coco SDC.  I'm
OK if I make a 1-1 transfer to SD cards, but if all the above .dsk files
could be placed on one SD card using different subdirectories, and they can
all be accessed, that would be awesome.

--- Steve ---