[Coco] Mark McDougall's CoCo 1/2 FPGA Project

Carlos Camacho idevgames at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 09:02:21 EST 2017

Mark's PACE Project used a NanoBoard FPGA to synthesize some arcade
machines, TRS-80 III and a CoCo 1/2. In his last posting on March 2006, he
mentioned getting CoCo's Color BASIC 1.0 running. He also mentioned that he
got Extended BASIC running too. There is a screenshot of his CoCo... alas
no file to download.

An email to Mark came back undelivered. I'm trying to reach him via
Facebook. Maybe he is on this list?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~msmcdoug/pace/Nanoboard/nanoboard.html

I know of the CoCo3FPGA Project and just got a DE1 to run Roger's CoCo on a
Chip FPGA, but Mark's project is very interesting. Would love to have a
very cheap FPGA CoCo 2.

Looks like PACE used a Altium NanoBoard. I 'think' that used a Cyclone 1
chip? I was thinking about a bunch of EP2C5T144C8N mini board FPGAs I
bought to run Grant Searle's various MultiComp (i.e. 6809 version). These
FPGAs are super cheap on eBay. If the code for Mark's project became
available, maybe the VHDL code could be ported to the EP2C5T144C8N? I
assume that such a cheap FPGA (Cyclone 2) could handle the CoCo 2
requirements as Victor Trucco uses such a development board for his TBBlue
project and he mentioned he got 90% of the CoCo 1/2 working on it. (
https://www.victortrucco.com/TK/TBBlue/TBBlue)

Cheers.

Carlos Camacho