[Coco] .dsk file manipulation tools ("EmuDisk")

Stephen H. Fischer sfischer1 at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 12 18:05:47 EST 2017

I found the "new" EmuDisk. From the author:

--------------------------------

Walt Zydhek shared a link to the group: TRS-80 / Color Computer (CoCo).
August 6 ·

https://github.com/wzydhek/EmuDisk

Making progress. EmuDisk rebuild now supports JVC, VDK, DMK, OS9 (raw), and
VHD images (needs more work to include partition selection); RSDOS, OS9,
DragonDos formats.

Display of directories is complete.

Still much more to go.

--------------------------------

April 18, 2016 at 5:18pm
· Roseburg, OR ·
My final project is a bit eccentric, but available to check out if anyone is
interested. I have shared it on github (https://github.com/wzydhek/EmuDisk).
This…See more
wzydhek/EmuDisk
github.com
2 Comments
19 19
See All
End of Results
Chat (Off)
Walt Zydhek shared a link to the group: CS50.
April 18, 2016 · Roseburg, OR ·

My final project is a bit eccentric, but available to check out if anyone is
interested. I have shared it on github (https://github.com/wzydhek/EmuDisk).
This project is being written in C++ using Microsoft Foundation Classes
(MFC) in Visual Studio 2015. I say eccentric, because very few people (if
any) would ever make use of this application. Let me explain...

I grew up in the 80's and what got me interested in computers to begin with
was the Tandy Color Computer, also called a CoCo (Similar to a Commodore 64
or a TI-99/4A). I've never lost interest in that old machine. And although I
no longer have one, I DO use an emulator called M.E.S.S.
(http://www.mess.org/) to emulate the CoCo.

In the emulation, I can use virtual floppy disks containing programs and
data for the emulated machines. Now, the tricky part, and the reason for
this project, is the ability to transfer data between the virtual disks, and
my host operating system (Windows). There IS a command line utility and a
very simple GUI application to handle this already, both are a pain to use
for the most part, and there is a lot of improvements that could be made.

So, several years ago, I delved into writing a usable utility from scratch.
I wrote it in C#. And although I am not a complete novice at writing code, I
had MUCH to learn at that point and have done so since. The application was
useful and MUCH improved over what was previously available, but it was
still lacking some features I wanted to implement. I did share the utility,
and received some feedback on it (some suggestions for improvement, as well
as a few bug indications).

So, fast forward to the present. After taking this class, I decided to make
my final project a re-write of the application in C++ with MFC. Up until
recently, my experience with C++ was sparse to say the least, but at least
enough to get my feet wet.

Now I have a basic skeleton of an application with the beginnings of some
functionality. It still supports multiple disk image formats (VDK, DMK, OS9,
JVC, VHD) as well as operating system formats that reside on them (RSDOS,
CoCo OS-9). In addition I have added support for the DragonDos operating
system format (which was missing from my earlier application).

I have structured the code so that I can add additional virtual disk image
formats, as well as additional operating system formats in time.

So far, the application can open and view the contents of such virtual
disks, create new blank disks, and save the virtual disks. Next to come are
drag-n-drop and import/export files to/from my host system as well as nice
little features such as hex sector editor, file viewer (supporting a variety
of file types from those operating systems), boot sector
import/export/creation and whatever else comes to mind.

If anyone is interested in playing with this utility, keep in mind you will
need virtual disks to work with. There are many scattered over the internet.
Of course the virtual disks won't do you any good without an emulator to use
them in, such as M.E.S.S, VCC (http://www.coco4.com/vcc/ - CoCo emulation),
or XRoar (http://www.6809.org.uk/xroar/ - Dragon & CoCo emulator).

Any questions about any of these, please feel free to hit me up.

Or if you'd just like to clone a copy of my code just to see an example of
C++ with MFC coding, feel free to visit the my project on github.

SHF