[Coco] My Thoughts On CoCo Midi

Joe Schutts j_schutts at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 18:02:08 EST 2017

Hi Bill,
As far as I remember the Musica 1 & 2 Programs (AND Lyra) DID play Midi files through a Midi Keyboard. I know this because I had an adapter that I used to use. I'm not sure how many channels it supported, BUT it did work. Now as to who made this adapter, or where (and when) I got it, I cannot remember.
As a matter of fact, I still have it somewhere. If I remember correctly it connected to one of the joystick ports and the other end connected to the Serial Port on the CoCo (on either the CoCo 1, 2, OR 3). The other end had either 1 or 2 Connectors on it and in the middle was a small rectangular box about 1/4 the size of a butane lighter (that contained something covered with white silicone - I'm guessing a circuit board or maybe even a chip of some kind).
I tried (and failed) to find something that would remove (or even dissolve) the silicone so I could see what it was so I could make a copy of the circuit itself. I could have tried some type of caustic fluid but I was worried I might damage whatever it was covering and I didn't want that to happen.
I have to admit that I was rather tired when I wrote my original piece, but I thought that I mentioned "software synths" and how you had the option to use either them when using DW4 OR the Midi Keyboard option. Maybe I was more tired than I thought and completely forgot to mention them. Anyway, my mistake, sorry for that error.
You are right when you say that Midi is FAR from dead, I TOTALLY agree with you on that. I know because before I got out of the business I was shown some of the amazing things it could do and was capable of. The only problem was that I was TOO CLOSE to retirement age and I didn't want to invest my retirement money into it and (possibly) not be able to recoup my savings. Perhaps I was wrong in that decision, but either way I'll have to live with it.
I too had a SMALL recording studio, but where yours is apparently mostly digital, mine was ALL analog. I did have some digital hardware (mostly for Midi) but that was about it. It's too bad I don't live near you as I would love to see your setup and see (for myself) what I missed out on. In a way, I rather envy you...
Take care of yourself and best of luck with your system AND your studio...
Joe...