[Coco] Machine Code

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Wed May 31 23:36:11 EDT 2017

I had the fun experience of writing a machine language program, without the
use of an assembler, to copy all the files from one SCSI drive to a second
backup SCSI drive on my Coco3 set-up.  Cloud-9 had a BASIC program to do
this, but I thought I could improve the speed by using ML.  The time savings
was about 50%.  Not quite as good as I expected.  It even contained
read/write error traps to make sure everything copied correctly.  I worked
it out on paper sitting at a picnic table.  Calculating branches by hand was
probably the most difficult, but it was a wonderful learning experience.  I
then entered all the ML code as BASIC data statements.  I wish I could say
it ran the first time, but it did take a few corrections.  Try doing that on
any of today's computers!!  Not possible!