[Coco] ESP8266 BBS setup

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Mon Jul 31 21:37:54 EDT 2017

Bill,

I was the one who did some investigation of the stock AT code that comes with the esp8266.  I found that the stock code is not usable for using with DriveWire at all.  I have my own custom esp8266 firmware that I have been working on that is a complete transparent bridge: you telnet to it and the bytes sent over wifi go to the coco, and whatever the coco sends goes back out the other direction. The stock firmware does not work this way, and in fact is really broken if you are expecting a transparent communication channel like this or any other modem would provide while it is connected.

IIRC RiBBS is a os-9 bbs system right? If that is the case it would be possible to write a custom esp8266 firmware that runs a mini DriveWire server on it that accepts incoming telnet connections and can open a /N virtual serial channel on the nitros9 side, or I guess a bbs would want to open multiple /N  ports and sit on them until someone connects, could be a solution there too.

--
Michael R. Furman
Email: n6il at ocs.net
Phone: +1 (408) 480-5865