[Coco] CoCo TALK #18 an introduction to OS9

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 12:27:40 EDT 2017

I was unable to attend the talk, but I watched the archived video. I found
it interesting that no one really detailed the differences between OS-9
L1/L2 and NitrOS-9 where command options is concerned. Specifically, dir e
works  in the original OS-9, but in NitrOS-9 the command is dir -e. Another
example is tmode. Turning page pause on or off in the original OS-9 uses
the option pause (turn it on) or -pause (turn it off). In NitrOS-9, the
same options are pau=1 (turn it on) and pau=0 (turn it off). These
differences can make or break a program that uses any of the command
modules. I realize that most commercial programs use system calls, not
command modules, but there are some that use some of the commands. Many
Basic09 programs are in this category, since it is easy to use them via the
SHELL command. This may be considered minor to most OS-9 users, but I don't
think it is at all trivial.

I laughed when Steve wrote his little Basic09 program. It works, and the
code is "legal" and "valid" BASIC code, even in Basic09. However, no one
told Steve that line numbers are only required in Basic09 if you are using
a GOSUB, or a GOTO. I would like to discuss this in the next CoCo Talk, as
I think a short course in Basic09 would be useful.