[Coco] VCC and my code tinkering.

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Tue Jul 25 04:31:56 EDT 2017

Hi Walter,
I see the difference now.  Thank you.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com
http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/User:Computerdoc

-----Original Message-----
From: Coco [mailto:coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] On Behalf Of Walter Zambotti
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:11 AM
To: 'CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts'
Subject: Re: [Coco] VCC and my code tinkering.

Let me clarify those millions of times per second.

Let begin with a CoCo with 8x8K banks accessable by the CPU from a total of 64 x 8k memory pages.

Let's say for example that OS9 loads a module stored page 10 into bank 0.

This module is written to access device registers in the FF00 range.  This would represent the top bank or bank 7.  Now OS9 realises that this module is only 8k in size so it remaps the same block in bank 7.

Our map now looks like this:

Bank - Page
0 - 10
1 - don't care (DC)
2 - DC
3 - DC
4 - DC
5 - DC
6 - DC
7 - 10

So the module in page 10 is mapped into both bank 0 and bank 7.

Now imaging this piece of code

    Ldy $FF10
A Ldx $FFFF
    Lda 0,Y ' load a from where Y is pointing
    Decx
    BNZ A

My 6809 code is not exact but you have a tight loop accessing some IO port.

The cpu loads instructions from bank 0 and immediately loads data from bank 7.

Now on the CoCo you can have page 10 in both banks so no swapping is required. But in AWE page 10 can only be in one bank at any one time so the load instruction causes a page swap and the load data causes another page swap.  So the Lda 0 ,Y causes two swaps in one instruction.

On a 25 mhz emulator at about 15 cycles for the tight loop that equates to more than 1million swaps per second.

Also no bank swapping occurs on the CoCo hardware just because the cpu and GIME want to access the same memory at the same time.  Because the CPU uses the top or bottom of a cycle and the GIME uses the opposite.  But in AWE this is not possible in order to share the memory it must be constantly swapped between sharing devices.

Walter