[Coco] FPGA VS Software Emulators

Walter Zambotti zambotti at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 25 03:02:51 EDT 2017

Before I start this is not a one is better than the other debate.

This is about better understanding each technology.

Ok so my initial thoughts regarding FPGA (as I really know nothing) were
hardware simulation should
provide an end product that is more efficient and faster than a general
CPU/software emulator.

However this does not appear to be the case.

The CoCo on a chip project emulates an 8mhz CoCo.

The CoCoFPGA project a 25mhz CoCo.

And VCC on my i5 (3.3 ghz) a 133mhz CoCo.

What causes these differences in end speed?

Why are the two FPGA projects so different in speed?

Why are both FPGA solutions slower than a CPU/software solution?

Is it the particular FPGA hardware itself?

Would high end FPGAs provide a different result?

I've just download the FPGA for Dummies eBook from Altera so I'm starting my
education process.

Walter