[Coco] Somewhat OT: Win10 email client

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 24 14:27:02 EDT 2017

On Monday 24 July 2017 11:23:48 Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since I get lots of CoCo email, this is partly on topic. And I know
> many of you have been using email as long as I have! :)
>
> I'm looking for a Windows (10) email client to replace Eudora 7, which
> is showing its age in the security realm (not dead yet, though).
>
> These features are required:

> 1. AUTOMATIC stripping and storage of attachments (which can be moved
> or deleted later).

I don't think kmail can do that, needs to be done  manually.

> 2. SEPARATE mailbox folders (showing up in the computer's regular file
> hierarchy).

Thats the singular thing that keeps me running it, for about 18 years
here Dennis. It CAN handle any storage format including as an IMAP
client, something I have not explored, primarily because I don't believe
it can be an IMAP server.  Its mailing list facilities are as good as
any in terms of sorting the incoming mail into the correct folders.
Its biggest problem is when coming to this coco folder, which has never
had an expiry recipe enabled, and is close to the 100,000 files point,
so it takes this machine around 20 seconds to sort thru it and show me
the next unread message. Once it done that, the next msg is as instant
as any folder.

> I will retire and archive Eudora with its 20+ years of emails if I can
> find a program that does these two things. The only email program I've
> been able to find that appears to do them is Everdesk:

>  <http://www.everdesk.com/>

Spit. $45.00 for 3 installs, runs only on windows?  Showstopper. I have a
bounty on windows here, drives get repartitioned and linux installed
forthwith if the machine is useable for what I need. We fix security
issues as soon as they are found. Typically in less than 24 hours.
Distribution of the fix might take another 24.

My router has dd-wrt installed, only firewall I've ever needed. 7 other
machines here, 6 live 24/7 aren't firewalled in any active way. The
lappy hasn't been fired up in several months, and that was only to
update it for security fixes.  So old & decrepit, I use it for a test
bed.

If windows was free it would not change the outcome.

Now that I've vented about windows, insecure by  default, my whole
desktop here looks a lot like KDE, but is TDE, which is a fork of KDE at
about KDE-3.5, (its up to 5 something now, buggy as ever since old bugs
never get fixed) but with, we think, all the bugs fixed, so its dead
stable.

> Yes? No? Is there any other?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

Thats my $0.02, Dennis. As for the attachments, the whole email is stored
on disk as a file, and if the mime is setup at the senders site so its
properly formatted, attachments of any known mimetype can be saved out,
or pix viewed on-screen. With very little lag, fraction of a second
perhaps, involved in separating the inclusion out to a separate file if
so desired. There are filter features I haven't explored, so its
entirely possible it could be setup to satisfy #1 above. Changing your
setup from winders to say debian linux, would be a bigger project. And
it would take you a year to acclimatize to it. Here, I came up from the
coco to the amiga, which was also multiuser/multitasking, so when the
amigas gradually failed and it was time for me to finally build an x86
machine in late 1997 or 98, it was natural that I would install linux so
I could keep on doing things in the style I was used to.

When it became obvious that after I retired in the middle of 2002, I was
still going to be used as a fireman, putting out technical fires at
other properties Russ owned, and that I'd need a road computer, I bought
an HP laptop with XP on it.  Buggier than a 10 day old road kill in
August, couldn't even run the wifi radio in it, it got a copy of
ManDrake installed, and at the end of another 2 months, I wiped the
drive and put redhat 6.2 on it. Never looked back. Never did fix the
radio either.  Shrug, I can buy pluggin dongles that Just Work(TM)

So, figuratively speaking, I don't have any bad habits from winders, nor
the expense for anti this or anti that programs. Those projects I do
use, some of which will do an annual PBS like fundraiser, and I
contribute to those based on the TANSTAAFL principle.  Its a good
principle to live by, and its got me to 82 circuits around this star so
far. The ultimate is to outlive ones enemies, and I've rather handily
done that.

Thank you for running this list Dennis. I do not think we would have a
community built around the coco's without it, certainly not as robust
and growing as it seems to be.

Take care now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)