[Coco] keyboards

Ron Klein ron at kdomain.org
Mon Jul 24 13:56:10 EDT 2017

As a reminder to everyone, Jim Brain did some research on a replacement
keyboard membrane for the Coco 3 (with hopes of making something generic
enough to work with a Coco 2).  It sounds like he had something that would
work as a direct replacement but lack of community interest seems to have
shelved this idea.  The solution would allow us to keep the stock keyboards
rather than purchase and retrofit a 3rd party one.

Jim -- please correct me if I'm wrong, but you were estimating the cost at
approximately $60, right?  If there's a way to wire a new keyboard matrix,
who is willing to do that and at what cost?

The days of buying cheap Coco's to use for keyboard replacements are
dwindling rapidly.  While there are still some great deals on Coco 2's,
Coco 3's can be quite expensive.  A question might be can one start with a
Coco 2 mylar and modify it to work as a replacement for a Coco 3 mylar by
hand wiring some additional keys/connections?  Even if it could be done, I
hate to see any Coco 2's be shelved over a missing mylar.

I know Cloud-9 makes some great PS/2 keyboard adapters (as I have a
couple).  I am still in the camp of wanting to keep/save an original
keyboard if I can.

-Ron