[Coco] Linville's Tech Segment on Assembly Language vs. Machine Code

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 10:09:49 EDT 2017

I used the KIM-1 back in college for the lab of one of my classes. Incredible, I can;t remember which.

I think that knowing machine code depends largely on the level of the assembly language programmer and the hardware being programmed.

The KIM-1 is a good example (although we venture into 6502 territory here). This computer does not have a screen or editor to be able to enter assembly language. I remember typing in the hex digits of the machine code to create a pulse on one of its outputs.

However, later computers provided more complete user interfaces and software for the asm programmer. This removed the need to learn and understand machine code. Emphasis on the word "need"; however, knowing how an underlying mechanism works opens the door to having more information to make make better decision on how to program using a higher level.

This methodology can also apply to other languages. For example, knowing assembly language can help in coding more efficient C programs.

Actually I think that the "vs" should be removed. It isn't one versus theother, rather it is one with the other.

OMG!!!!

I got curious about the KIM-1 and found this eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-MOS-KIM-1-Computer-System-and-peripherals-/292003711123

The seller wants $5K for this!!

Salvador