[Coco] Linville's ramblings on assembly vs machine code

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Jul 11 13:35:48 EDT 2017

You can do self-modifying code “legally” in OS-9 - but you have to copy the routine(s) into your data area and execute them from there. The reason it doesn’t work “normally” is that a program can be shared by multiple processes (they all run the exact same code, just with different data areas and stacks) - and it wouldn’t work well if a 2nd iteration of a program thinks it has one version of the self-modifying code, but the 1st iteration has already changed it to something else. If you went for a more memory bloated Unix/Linux model (a full physical copy in RAM of each copy of the same program), you might be able to get away with it (although things like program CRC checks would fail, unless you updated it each time it self modified), but for an 8 bit machine like the Coco, that would suck way too much RAM.
Since the data area is unique to each process, you can do self-modifying code in that area, and it won’t corrupt any other copies of that program running.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net