[Coco] Linville's ramblings on assembly vs machine code

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jul 11 09:13:05 EDT 2017

On Tuesday 11 July 2017 05:51:58 James Jones wrote:

> In a multitasking environment, self-modifying code will cause random
> failures without additional overhead to allow only one process to run
> it at a time, and of course, code in ROM can't be self-modifying.
>
> In vo-tech class I wrote some code for the RCA 301, an ancient
> discrete transistor computer that did BCD arithmentic, with addressing
> modes so impoverished that to do multi-digit multiplies *required*
> self-modifying code to churn out the partial products just as you'd
> multiply on paper. One of the goals of the 6809 was to make such
> tricks unnecessary; its designers had running code in ROM as a design
> goal (see the three-part BYTE article).

The most impressive advance the 6809 gave us was PCR code. With that,
code did not have to be rebuilt if its address in rom was changed. To
me, that gave the motorola offerings that included it, several steps up
the ladder of capability.

I do know that the intel stuff had to be patched to achieve that effect
when loaded into memory from rom, causing the loader to need to apply
the patches and to need 10% more rom than the loaded code looked like in
memory.  But I've always thought that road had so many potholes it was
sure to go down in flames, and early versions did often enough to
confirm my suspicions.

If there were patents on it which I'm uninformed about, that would
preclude its use by others until moto was either bought to gain access,
or the patents to expire before it would become common useage. But I'd
suspect nearly all cpu's can do it today.

The singular feature I missed in programming the 6x09, is DMA.  Even the
zero power RCA 1802-4-5 had it, and that meant the digital display was
hugely simplified. I first tried a clock chip, which worked but a dispay
that could be read from a 5" b&w monitor from 15+ feet away was needed.

That led me to use the 4 to 16, the 74154 IIRC, with a 4x subcarrier
counter with a 4 bit output, and a bunch of small signal fast diodes, to
generate the display. I chose the line counter so that the characters
were 103 lines tall on the usual 262.5 tall NTSC display. The actual
display data, which this circuit scanned twice per horizontal line, with
the 4 bits obtained from the current byte, swapped from high nibble to
low nibble at the center of the screen, so the end result was a 2 digit
display that only needed 6 bytes of DMA per vertical field to generate
it. The decimal point was hard coded in hardware for line 100 to line
103. The 6th and last byte was $00 of course which turned the display
off.

s100 bread board and chips + diodes might have cost $30 at the time.
There wasn't anything else it could do, but it did that job very well.
The 1802 executed the whole thing per vertical scan line. I put a flag
byte in to toggle something I could time, and found the 1802 was back to
waiting on the next falling edge of house vertical synch to start all
over by the middle of line 21. That meant it had no trouble keeping up,
so I was quite pleased.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)