[Coco] Linville's ramblings on assembly vs machine code

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 10 21:13:47 EDT 2017

On 11/07/2017 10:59 AM, CoCo Demus wrote:

> Also, to distinguish data embedded in the middle of the code
> machine code knowledge is useful.

I get where you're coming from but upon reflection, I'd actually suggest
that it's not particularly useful or necessary to know much about ML in
this instance.

I've done a _lot_ of reverse-engineering and identification of data
embedded in code is usually done by inspection of the disassembled
listing (ie. ASM, looking for nonsensical instruction sequences) or
patterns in the data bytes themselves (without any thought as to the
instructions they may represent).

Or perhaps we just work differently?!?

Regards,

--