[Coco] Formatting OS-9 hard drives

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sat Feb 18 09:35:00 EST 2017

Allen Huffman wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2017, at 9:12 PM, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> Allen, I have no experience with SCSI drives, but with my Glenside IDE and RBSuper/LLIDE drivers, I formatted 4 gig IDE drive partitions using the standard NitrOS9 format using both logical and physical mode (took all day) and had no problems. I also have been recently formatting 128 meg & 1 gig partitions on the Coco3FPGA SD card (again, RBSuper/LLCoco3FPGA) with the NitrOS9 format, again, no problems.
>> So yes, format should handle large drives without a problem.
>
> Looks like my old hardware is just giving out. I may be out of the CoCo business :(

Allen,

The Ken-Ton RGB hard drive system came with a systom disk. The contents of that disk were:
BOOT.BAS, DOS-BOOT.BAS, DOSPATCH.BAS, DSK2DSK.BAS, ERRMSG.BIN, ERRMSG.SRC,
FILECOPY.BAS, FILETYPE.BAS, FINDFILE.BAS, FIX 128.BAS, FIX 128.DO, FMT1.BIN, FMT2.BIN, FMT2.SRC,
FORMAT.BAS, FORMAT.SRC, FORMAT+.BAS, FORMAT-N.BAS, MAPOUT.BAS, RAMDISK.BIN, RAMDISK.SRC,
RGB-DOS.4N1, RGB-DOS.DIS, RGB-DOS.KEN, RGB-DOS.LRT, RGB-DOS.RGB, SERIES-N.BIN, SERIES-N.SRC,
SYSTEM.BAS, TWPATCH.BAS, TWPATCH.BIN, TWPATCH.SRC.

As you might expect from the names, there are format programs that run under Basic for several types
of hard drives. Since there are several source files, you should be able to modify them to fit the
specs of your hard drives.
If you have lost your disk, I can send you an image of this disk.

Robert