[Coco] XED Question

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Feb 14 09:52:27 EST 2017

On Tuesday 14 February 2017 07:54:14 Guillaume Major wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> thank you for scanning your manual! I can crop the images, make a PDF
> and upload it to the Color Computer archive if you wish.
> It would be great If you can scan it again at 300 dpi. The current
> current resolution is a bit low (75 dpi) and it won't display well in
> a PDF.

Humm, I don't recall ever scanning anything at 75 dpi. But loading a page
of the scan that I used to make that tarball, its all 75x75 ppi
according to debian wheezy's version of gimp.  Usually I do utility
stuff at 150 & apply jpeg compression to reduce the files size down to
about 20& of the scan output size, unless I see jpeg artifacts at a
lessor compression.  Although, looking at the OEM manual, it was
produced on what looks like a DWP.  With the fancy font wheel used, at
least 300 dpi should have been used.

One could translate back to text with an OCR utility which would shrink
the resultant pdf to about 10& or less, but that would also need a trip
thru an editor to fix the OCR's missfires. That occasional error can be
reduced considerably by scanning at the maximum resolution the scanner
can do, which makes a blank page into 200+ megabytes loaded into memory.

My wife is in the shop for rehab after developing an acute need for a new
hip joint after falling and breaking the OEM issued version a week ago
yesterday, which they replaced a week ago, so I am somewhat busier than
usual and won't have time for that until she is home again. So today I
have to take a big box of chocolates into the body shop, along with a
slightly smart-assed valentines day card. and do it again Saturday for
her 77th birthday. :)

Ping me in a couple weeks to refresh my obviously getting poor, short
term memory.

> Guillaume
>
> "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at shentel.net> a écrit
> dans le message de news:201702140316.53369.gheskett at shentel.net...
>
> > On Monday 13 February 2017 22:52:34 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> >> Ed, Gen has the xed & xword docs on his site. They're in single
> >> page JPGs but I think it's all there. XWord uses Xed and is just an
> >> overlay (sorta). Here's the link
> >>
> >> http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/Genes-os9-stf/xword-docs.tar.gz
> >
> > Thanks for bailing me out on that. Its been yonks since I put it up
> > and TBT I had forgotten it. I ought to see if I can find a utility
> > that could make a pdf out of it, or take it apart at the binder
> > strip and feed it thru my new scanner which can do duplex via its
> > built-in ADF. But the jpg's should print at the correct letter sized
> > paper. I did not have a printer that could do duplex at the time,
> > but the original was 2 sided. It was also in color, which this is
> > not. But that applies only to the front cover, the floppy image part
> > of the cover art was red. NBD.
> >
> > Unpack it with tar xzf filename. Or whatever might be the equ on
> > your os. This is a linux house. No windows allowed on the premises
> > unless I can see thru them. The x tells tar to extract, the z tells
> > it to use gunzip to uncompress it, and the f tells tar the filename
> > is next on the commandline.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)