[Coco] The Coco3FPGA - Bringing the Color Computer 3 into the new Millenium!

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 8 21:56:58 EST 2017

<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/854038380/coco-x-the-next-generation-of-tandy-color-computer>

> ...based on experience with the analog board, I
> think you’d be looking at perhaps 50 people that might buy in on the
> initial run.

> I’m sure a few of us could nail down the hardware design
> (setting aside other projects), but it’s still a pile of work. And if
> neither Gary nor Roger adopted it for development…  Well, it would be
> a wasted effort.

Exactly, I think you'd need an initial run closer to 100 and you'd need
an FPGA developer on board, in the hardware design phase. Having said
that, does the community really need 3 distinct Coco FPGA efforts?
Personally, I think 2 is already one too many; I certainly don't
discourage either but my choice of platform was made for me as I owned a
DE1 years before the Coco3FPGA surfaced.

I have a feeling any future project will only further fragment the
market, rather than establish itself as any defacto standard - unless
perhaps it was designed to physically replace the Coco3 motherboard,
complete with cartridge port.

> Considering the size of the group, I tend to think using dev boards
> and designing daughterboards to go with them makes more sense.
> There’s really nothing wrong with this approach after all.

Between that and the fact that 2 projects already exist, I tend to
agree. And a port of either project to the MiST board wouldn't be
unwelcome either!

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall