[Coco] RGB/VGA Question

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sun Aug 27 00:30:27 EDT 2017

> Garrett Reynolds greynolds86 at hotmail.comĀ  <mailto:coco%40maltedmedia.com?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BCoco%5D%20RGB/VGA%20Question&In-Reply-To=%3CBN6PR19MB0996416995DDF2AAB2863C6BB2990%40BN6PR19MB0996.namprd19.prod.outlook.com%3E>
> Sun Aug 27 00:09:00 EDT 2017
>
> I will give it a try.
>
> So far "Megabug" and "Zaxxon".
>
> Also another question.  With both the LCD TV and LCD Monitor plugged into the RGB (both at the same time), doing various CLS(X) commands, the colors do not match.  I took the cable apart thinking I got the colors swapped around with no change.  Is this also typical?
>
> Garrett
Try typing
RGB
Into BASIC and then running the CLS commands. This will setup the color setting for an RGB monitor. For CoCo 1 and 2 games that use the PMODE 4 red, blue, black, and white color screen, you will either need a patched copy of the game to display in color on an RGB monitor, or you can try using this software:

RGB Patch (Spectral Associates) (Coco 3).zip <http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Disks/Utilities/RGB%20Patch%20%28Spectral%20Associates%29%20%28Coco%203%29.zip>

The manual is here:

RGB Patch (Spectral Associates).pdf <http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Documents/Manuals/Utilities/RGB%20Patch%20%28Spectral%20Associates%29.pdf>

This works with many (but not all) CoCo 1 and 2 games that use PMODE 4 (red, blue, black, white) to get them to display in color on a CoCo 3 with an RGB monitor. For games that use other colors or graphics modes, just type RGB before running the game, or just run the game on a composite monitor, of course. This is why my CoCo 3 RGB -> HDMI hardware solution supports switching to composite video.