[Coco] Message Threading

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Wed Aug 9 19:47:52 EDT 2017

On Wednesday 09 August 2017 14:14:07 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Just something interesting that I've seen:  It appears that the latest
> version of Thunderbird acts a little differently (for me) than in the
> past.  In the past, if I were simply to reply to a message on this
> forum Thunderbird would automatically know that I'm replying to the
> list and use the list email address to send it. Now, it seems that I
> must specifically click on 'Reply List' because 'Reply' simply replies
> to the sender.
>
> Since I am used to just clicking on 'Reply' and letting the email
> client figure it out for me, sometimes I do that and then realize that
> I am not sending to the list and then I'll go and change the 'To:'
> line.  I don't know if this ever affects the way the messages end up
> getting parsed as far as threads are concerned.
>
> Another thing to remember is there are guys (like me) who do not
> choose to read their email with the thread-sorting turned on. We just
> read each message as it comes through to the list.

Count me in that category.  As a kmail user, I have 3 reply buttons, one
that replies to the sender if that can be figured out, one that replies
to all, and one that replies to the mailing list only IF I have an
option set in that "folder"s properties that says "folder contains a
mailing list".

And as a convenience, the From: display may show the posters address, or
the mailing list address or both. I can generate a reply, addressed
accordingly by clicking on either of those addresses.  That I do not
believe maintains the threading so I often use it to open a new message
to the clicked on address.

All this is the result of nearly 20 years of using the same Mail agent,
so it has accumulated quite a layer of dross on top.

If I am one of those "offenders", please advise.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)