[Coco] Message Threading

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Aug 9 14:14:07 EDT 2017

Just something interesting that I've seen:  It appears that the latest
version of Thunderbird acts a little differently (for me) than in the
past.  In the past, if I were simply to reply to a message on this forum
Thunderbird would automatically know that I'm replying to the list and
use the list email address to send it. Now, it seems that I must
specifically click on 'Reply List' because 'Reply' simply replies to the
sender.

Since I am used to just clicking on 'Reply' and letting the email client
figure it out for me, sometimes I do that and then realize that I am not
sending to the list and then I'll go and change the 'To:' line.  I don't
know if this ever affects the way the messages end up getting parsed as
far as threads are concerned.

Another thing to remember is there are guys (like me) who do not choose
to read their email with the thread-sorting turned on.  We just read
each message as it comes through to the list.  So to say that it's rude
to change the subject in the middle of a thread is perhaps a little
extreme (since many of us may care or know little about threads in
general).  Also, it was suggested that changing subjects in a 'real'
eye-to-eye conversation is rude too.  But in my experience that's not
the case.  Casual conversations regularly morph to different subjects as
they progress and we think nothing of it.  You could start talking about
the weather and end up talking about Kim Jung Un two or three minutes
later.

So the way I see it is this:  The thread sorting/organizing is something
that is done automatically behind the scenes by some computer(s).  We as
humans normally converse in ways in which the subject continually
changes.  To slap some guy's hand for innocently changing the subject
(perhaps he even thinks he is doing us a favor) because he has seen that
the subject has indeed changed could be construed as rude too.  After
all, how is he to know exactly what's going on behind the scenes?

By the way, I'm not the one Tormod has counseled about this and I don't
believe I have changed subjects on a regular basis but I do remember one
or two times having done it in the past.

Dave