[Coco] Message Threading

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Aug 9 10:29:52 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 03:54:53PM +0200, Tormod Volden wrote:
> > From: Brett Gordon
> > Has anybody else notice broken message threading here in the last 2 months
> > or so?
> >

> There is one guy on the list who /always/ breaks the threads. He will
> always start a new thread, although with the same subject. I have told
> him privately and offered help to fix his mail program, but to no
> avail. I tend to ignore "his" threads and anybody who continues there
> instead of the original thread. With all the traffic on this list I
> would really appreciate that people take care, it is about respect
> towards the 400+ subscribers.
>
> Tormod

Amen to that. Some people seem to believe that message threading is
done by matching subjects (and therefore that changing subjects makes
for a new thread). This is, of course, generally incorrect...except
that some email clients (i.e. MUAs) are broken in just this
way...*sigh*...

So, to everyone else..._PLEASE_ only reply to a message on the list
if you are actually replying to the subject of that message. If you
are actually starting a new subject (i.e. a new thread), then send
a new message to coco at maltedmedia.com -- yes, you have to endure
entering the actual To: address. :-)

So, just for clarity -- if you Reply to an existing message and then
change the Subject, you are not starting a new thread. In this case
you are literallly just "changing the subject" in the middle of an
ongoing conversation. That is rude both in real life and in email on
the Internet.

John

P.S. If anyone wants to dispute the details of how email message
threading is supposed to be done, then I'll be glad to dig-out some
of the relevant RFCs upon request...