[Coco] GCC6809 cross compiler, assembler & linker

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Aug 7 19:18:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-07 11:46 AM, Tormod Volden wrote:
> The version in my PPA is basically the one from William, which is
> based on Brian's and ported to LWTOOLS. David's is also based on
> Brian's and is using David's own linker. I haven't tried building that
> one so I cannot help much there.

I thought I'd chime in with why I even bothered with my gcc6809 update.

The last release from Brian that I'm aware of is a patch against gcc
4.3.4. Unfortunately, gcc 4.3.x does not build on at least some 64 bit
systems due to some bug or other in the gcc core. I actually tried
building an unmodified native compiler at the time to rule out something
in the gcc6809 patch causing trouble and that failed, too. That is the
entire reason I even attempted a forward port to gcc 4.6, and is also
the entire reason I carry the patch in the lwtools source tree.
Otherwise, I would have continued using Brian's patch and just ignored
the as6809 stuff that was packaged with it.

That might be why some folks have reported issues building gcc6809. If
they have the 4.3.x patch from Brian, it probably doesn't build on
modern 64 bit Linux systems due to the above mentioned bug in the gcc
4.3.x core.