[Coco] The Hobbit for Dragon64 - CoCo2 and CoCo3 Drivewire

Pere psergm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 03:48:21 EDT 2016

Hi John Mark,
unfortunately I cannot test this case but as the Hobbit
requires the whole 64k for it to run, it is best to start it
from a clean system, I mean with a DOS that is no
greater than 8k ($C000-$DFFF) because Hobbit uses
from $E000 to $FEE3 to contain data.

I have found a bug that prevents the Hobbit to run under
a different DOS with respect the one the CoCo was started.
For instance, if I start my CoCo3 with RS-DOS and then I
load the HDBDW3CC3 to enable drivewire, the Hobbit
will have problems loading files and returning to the Basic
interpreter.
This happens because the program issues a clr $ffde in order
to disable the SuperExtendedBasic as this area is Hobbit's
data structures and so it reverts to the DOS that exists in ROM,
in my case RS-DOS so the 'read' is directed to the floppies
instead of being sent to drivewire!

I have fixed that, but I am still testing it on as many
configurations as I can ... hardware, emulators, floppies, SDC,
Drivewire, Becker port.
Hopefully I will upload another 'last version' on Sunday night.

This 'update' is not mandatory for Tano/Dragon nor for
configurations that don't change DOS, for instance CoCo-SDC.
Only on floppy systems where you have a not DW D.O.S.
it is needed to use that new version.

cheers
pere

-----Mensaje original----- Message: 2