[Coco] [COCO] Cave Walker & Issues with VCC was OS9 Lv 1 games

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Oct 6 15:23:55 EDT 2016

David Ladd wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Henry Rietveld <rietveldh at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It's not a huge problem as I prefer to play on my coco instead. Just
>> brought it up when I saw the discussion about it and VCC. Still love VCC
>>
>> Well the same disk image that is used on the CoCoSDC should work with VCC.
> Though the Cave Walker disk image I have was made from the original floppy
> disk.​

Guys,

Keep in mind that Cave Walker and other level1 games at best use Level1V2.00.
I've tested a stock L1V2 system disk with VCC (any version) and OS-9 will freeze
when asking you to insert the date/time. The same disk will run with MESS and a
real Coco3. It will even run with a Drivewire HDBDOS ROM on a Coco3 from a
hardware floppy.

As an experiment, you can almost get Cave Walker to run on VCC if you delete or
rename CMDS/setime, preventing setime from running. You will see a WHAT? as OS-9
starts and then the program will start. Unfortunately, when you get to the main
screen, you will see only the background and not your player.
In short, VCC with L1V2 seems to be unable to accept data from the keyboard.

It may be possible to change some modules in the L1V2 OS9Boot file so that it
will work with VCC. Better would be to "correct" VCC.

Robert