[Coco] SmartWatch

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Nov 29 16:55:36 EST 2016

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2016 11:56 AM, "Ron Klein" <ron at kdomain.org> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if the real time clock feature of Drivewire is compatible with
> the
>> DS1216 or whatever was used in the Disto controllers?  If so, it would be
>> interesting to see if Extended ADOS3 can access it, though I believe the
>> ADOS documentation mentioned a driver was required and not sure where to
>> get the driver if it is compatible.
>>

> The clock is implemented as a driver for OS9, but underneath it's just
> doing serial I/O with the bitbanger.  Some of the DriveWire functionality
> has been added to non OS9 software, but I don't recall anyone doing the
> clock specifically.  It's a probably a pretty simple hack if you have
> source to any working driver, there are routines in hdbdos for the high
> speed bitbanger I/O that can be called, I think you just send a couple
> bytes then read the server's responding bytes which are the time according
> to whatever is on the other end of the cable.  However, I doubt that any
> existing rtc driver would be compatible since it's pretty different I/O
> than you'd think a clock would use.
>
> -Aaron

To All,

It is not necessary to use the Drivewire clock if you have a hardware clock in a
cart on your Coco. Just use the software clock in NitrOS-9 and my swread programs.
http://aaronwolfe.com/robert.gault/Coco/Sales/Flyer.htm
Refer to the SmartWatch (r) drivers.

The cart containing the DS1216 can be in any MPI slot. I have mine in an RS-232
pack replacing the original ROM.
In Basic, SWREAD.BAS reads the clock and creates a new string DATE$. When you
PRINT DATE$ you get something like TUE NOV 29,2016 04:37:11 PM. SWSET permits
turning the SmartWatch off to save battery life, using it as an elapse timer, or
as a clock. You can select 24 or 12 hour usage.
SWREAD behaves differently under NitrOS-9. You put a softclock in OS9Boot with
swread engaged in the startup file. Swread has the option of reading at selected
intervals to prevent wasted overhead constantly reading the hardware clock. So
swread 10 <>>>/2&
will read the hardware clock every ten minutes.

Robert