[Coco] cleaning keys

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 27 21:17:40 EST 2016

On 28/11/2016 1:37 AM, Zippster wrote:

> Which is a real shame considering the great history that’s in these
> machines, and how working with them can be incredibly educational for
> understanding how electronics and software function together on a
> basic level to form a computer.

In a way I feel fortunate for being born when I was. Got to experience
the birth of the home computer (and video games) at just the right age -
and the excitement that went with it - and of course have that grounding
in knowledge that I fear is slowly being lost as computer design becomes
both infinitely more complex, and more about gluing together large ICs
than ground-up design.

My kids are only 1 & 4 so perhaps there's hope for them (me) yet!?! Thus
far my wife & I have avoided introducing much in the way of technology
to either of them; and as I result they both absolutely love books. My
little girl is off to school in a few months (our school years coincide
with the calendar year here) and no doubt she'll be exposed to iPads and
laptops before too long.

At some point in the near future I hope to be able to set up my retro
gaming/computer stuff on a permanent basis (got a dedicated room that is
awaiting clearing and shelving) and the plan was to see if I can get
them interested in it. My daughter went through a "Super Mario Bros"
phase earlier this year after seeing some of my Nintendo paraphernalia
and I downloaded some cartoons for her to watch (she's asked about the
game but never played it). But that only lasted a few months... would be
good to see her go through a "Coco" phase at some point - maybe Nick
should be selling Pop*Star Pilot T-shirts!?! ;)

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>