[Coco] reset behavior suggestions?

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 09:13:36 EST 2016

Hmm, normally I would go with a regular system reset, but I think I see the dilemma here.
Restating it here to be sure I understand, as the coffee has not quite kicked in yet this morning…   :)

You need to be able to reset the machine (the 6847 really) to possibly change artifact colors
on some games when using a CoCo1/2.  In this case you want to reset the machine and
immediately execute the current cartridge image when the user is pressing reset for that purpose.

You also need to be able to reset the machine, and execute the flash cart menu in the case of
the user being done with that game and wanting to go back to the main menu.

The problem with using a varying length of hold on the reset button is that it uses too much CPLD space.
I guess it could also be non-intuitive for the user.

The first, and simplest option that pops into my head is to execute the currently selected ROM image on
a machine reset, and require a power cycle to go back to the cart menu (power button).
This is probably what I would go with in a situation like this just to keep it simple and intuitive.

Thinking of Art’s suggestion of holding a key down to select which type of reset…

If you have a way of preserving the start address of the currently selected ROM image on the board through a
reset, you could have a reset execute your main menu code, and from there check for the key being depressed.
If it is, execute the last used ROM image immediately, if not, run the menu (or vise versa).

- Ed