[Coco] Using toolshed decb for the first time

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:55:36 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 2:38 PM, tim lindner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Tony Cappellini wrote:
>> When I use the following command
>> decb dir edtasm++.dsk
>>
>> dir: error 215 opening 'edtasm++.dsk'
>> dir: error 215 opening 'edtasm++.dsk'
>>
>> is displayed
>
> Older version of the DIR subcommand require a comma after the disk
> image name. I've fixed it recently, so either you are using an old
> binary, or I did not, in fact, fix it.

Just a little note on this. For the DIR subcommand there is no
ambiguity, so not having to type the comma is convenient. However
being relaxed with the commas might come back to bite you. For other
subcommands like COPY, the comma is the only indication to the program
as to whether you are referring to a file on your file system or a
file inside a disk image. Consider:
 os9 copy a b,
 os9 copy a b
 os9 copy a,c b,
 os9 copy a,c b
In the 2nd and 4th example b is taken to be a plain file to be
(over)written, and not a disk image. For consistency, it is best to
always add the comma to a disk image name.

Tormod