[Coco] IDE interfaces

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Wed Mar 16 15:40:39 EDT 2016

I wholeheartedly agree with you.  It would take a lot of convincing to
make me believe that gold edge connectors are going to wear out the cart
port more quickly.  And almost all manufacturers of electrical
connectors offer gold-plating as a means of making the connection more
reliable.  I remember many years ago running my fingers across the
contacts of those cheapo cartridges and getting a grey-colored stain on
my fingers from the corrosion.  I've worn a gold-alloyed wedding ring
for years and never had any kind of stain on my fingers from it.

My question to the Facebooksters would be: Why did Intel use gold
plating on millions if not billions of their processors that were
intended to mate with sockets?  Perhaps they could do a little research
on galvanic corrosion and the anodic index of tin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion. An inspection of the
edge connectors on three of my CoCo 3s reveals that they all appear to
have some amount of gold on the contacts. At least Tandy got that part
right.

Dave