[Coco] Need Driver for USB to RS232 TTL UART cable

Mathew Boytim maboytim at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 06:40:03 EST 2016

Hi Kip,

You will probably get a better answer from someone using that cable, but it uses the Prolific chip and the driver should be available via Windows update.  for older version of windows you can google for "PL2303HX driver" and should find it at the Prolific site.

However, I had several similar cables I had used with XP but when I got a new laptop with Windows 7 the Prolific driver would blue-screen within just a few minutes of use and eventually I had to stop using them.  Now I only use cables that use the FTDI chip.  I've read that FTDI did something in their driver to prevent it from working with the Chinese clone chips but I don't know if that's true since all of mine are genuine FTDI chips and when buying more cables I'm always careful to get ones with genuine FTDI chips, which means no el cheapo direct from China.

Recently I needed a cable with RS232 levels not logic levels, coincidentally to connect to a Radio Shack Multi-Pen Plotter.  For this I bought a Sabrent CB-FTDI  (you can see FTDI in the name) retail packaged from reputable US seller - for $15.  But it is genuine Sabrent cable with genuine FTDI chip.

Matt