[Coco] CoCo 2 cassette audio on emulators

Ricardo M. Ferreira ricspam at mpc.com.br
Sun Jan 17 19:59:09 EST 2016

On 17/01/2016 03:17,  Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
> I've just done a test with MESS by taking an mp3 file and converting to a wave
> file. If the file is converted to 44100Hz, 8-bit, mono, it plays perfectly. Any
> other combination sounds awful.
Thanks for the tip, Robert!

Unfortunately, all formats that I've tried sound equally awful on XRoar...

I've tried the same files on MAME (0169), and the format you suggested
sounds almost perfect here, except that the first half of the tape seem
to "overlap" with the rest. OTOH, a PCM 16bit signed 22 kHz mono played
perfectly!

BTW, I built MAME on Linux and, while I can open the UI with [Tab] when
not running the CoCo 2 emulation, as soon as the CoCo 2 emulation starts
the [Tab] key won't open the UI anymore. I've tried to change the
keyboard shortcut but nothing seems to work... Have you faced this
problem with MAME or MESS, and if so, did you manage to solve it?

[]s!