[Coco] I'm missing something obvious

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 22:53:38 EST 2016

Ed, Nitros9 will only access about a 128meg drive (max) with a cluster size of 1 (24 bit offset limit). To do the 1 gig drive, you're either going to have to break it up into 128 meg partitions, OR set a larger cluster size. I run 2x4gig partitions on my Coco3 with cluster sizes of 64. It's kind of tricky but there's a basic09 program that glenside put together for their IDE controllers that will help with the math.
Here's a link to the disk, the file you want is "makedesc.b09" (load runb & syscall first).
Since you're not working with a GS IDE or vanilla OS9, it will not "make" the descriptor and will error near the end, but before it errors, it will give you all the info you need. Just answer the prompts and jot down the results. The text files give a lot of good info. I've been meaning to update this for NitrOS9 and superdriver, but my Coco is down so I haven't bothered.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23059963/Stuff/Glenside%20IDE.dsk

You will need to add parameters to the format command once you get the descriptor set... Since it's aggrevating to find, here's the syntax for format:

Syntax: Format <devname>
Usage : Initializes a NitrOS-9 diskette
Opts  :
  R   - Ready
  L   - Logical format only
  "disk name"
  1/2 - number of sides
  'No. of cylinders'   (in decimal)
  :Interleave value:   (in decimal)
  /Cluster size/       (in decimal)

If your descriptor is set right, the only 'extra' you need to add is cluster size:

format /XX "My Drive" r /xx/
(xx=cluster size in decimal)

This is how I formatted my 4 gig drives. The partitions are a little more complex, but if you need that info, email me :-)

Hope this helps!

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/