[Coco] Terminal Program Help

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 12 11:13:16 EST 2016

On Tuesday 12 January 2016 10:46:48 Joel Ewy wrote:

> On 01/11/2016 10:40 PM, Alan Jones wrote:
> > Do you know if there are any terminal programs on program packs? If
> > so, where might I get a couple?
> >
> > Al, N8WQ
>
> The only one I'm aware of is the software in the Tandy RS-232 Pak ROM,
> but it's pretty universally regarded as not worth much.  I remember
> using it once to get onto a local BBS, and it did work. But it doesn't
> support anything like VT100 compatibility.
>
> JCE

The only VT100 compatible program I know about is not on a pack, but is
an os9 program.  Brian Marquette (IIRC) wrote a vt-100 thing, and when
the vt-220 on our pdp-11 system running the 7 meter C band dish in the
front yard died, and they (DEC) wanted over $5000 for a then current
vt-550, I got desperate, and rebuilt Brians program for vt-220
compatibility (piece of cake, all it really needed was an 8 bit serial
path), and even added rz/sz automatic file transfers to it sometime
later.  Its available on my web page in the signature as vt-220.  The
docs aren't all that great, but it was usable against a pdp-11/23 for a
couple years at the tv station, until the pdp-11 upchucked.

Its not a rom-pack, even a vt-100 is too big for that, but it worked for
me.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)