[Coco] Noob 6809 ASM programmer looking for tips

Ricardo M. Ferreira ricspam at mpc.com.br
Mon Jan 11 17:39:00 EST 2016

Hello again, and sorry for the late replies.

BTW, does anyone know if there is a framework for Coco games (with
functions for keyboard / joystick, sprites, sounds, music, etc.)?

 > Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:30:32 -0500
 > From: Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com>
 >
 > Welcome to the Coco List Ricardo!!
[...]

Thanks, Bill! I've visited your music page, it is a great resource! I've
listened to a lot of Orchestra 90 songs, and was wondering how hard it
would be to use one such song in a game. I guess I could "borrow" the
player code and build the game with the "scored" ("compiled") song, but
do you know if there is already a game or framework with source code
available for this?

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:35:13 +0000
> From: Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com>
>
> I agree with Bill, I'll just add that I created this site to organize
> info about programming the Coco:
>
> http://cococoding.com
>
> It might have some helpful info.

I've found your site previously via Google. It's been really useful
already, and it is on my bookmarks. Thanks, Aaron! :)

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 11:46:21 -0800
> From: "Stephen H. Fischer" <SFischer1 at Mindspring.com>
>
> Context is an alternate editor choice, a URBANE /DECB highlight file
> is available.

Thanks for the tip, Stephen. I ended up using Geany, which I had already
installed on my Linux dev. machine.

> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 02:34:29 -0600
> From: Dave Philipsen <dave at davebiz.com>
>
> the Lance Leventhal book is a 'must' in my opinion.

Added to the library. Thanks, Dave!

> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 19:17:21 +1100
> From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>
>
> If you're fluent in other assemblers you'll likely need nothing more
> than a reference anyway. Ditto for any Coco books; the GIME data sheet
> and source listings of example code should suffice

Mark, for the processor, yes, just a reference is enough, but I also
need references for the Coco itself, such as memory map and interfaces
(keyboard, joystick, cassette, ...). So far, I think I've got everything
I need, but I'm sure I'll bother the list with other questions later.

> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:59:22 -0500
> From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net>
>
> One of the very convenient tools for creating projects on a PC for use
> on a Coco was created by Roger Taylor. You can look at and obtain
> trial copies of the RainbowIDE at http://www.phoenixide.com/rainbowide.php
> Roger's latest product is the PhoenixIDE http://www.phoenixide.com/

 From what I recall, they seemed to be very nice, but I'm leaning
towards OSS on Linux ATM. BTW, the website seems to be unavailable now
("The website you were trying to reach is temporarily unavailable").

So far I've done a few tests using CMOC, a "cross-compiler for a subset
of the C language": http://perso.b2b2c.ca/sarrazip/dev/cmoc.html . I can
write the body of the program in "C" and a few important routines in
assembly, so the coding & testing (with the XRoar emulator) are really
fast: from Geany (the code editor), I can press 1 key to compile &
launch the emulator with my code.

[]s!