[Coco] Formatting L.R. Tech Hard Drive in OS9 Level II

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Mon Jan 11 01:11:28 EST 2016

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 18:10, Bill Pierce via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Mark, try Nitros9 L2 and use the superdriver "rbsuper" along with it's sub, "llktLr" (it may have to be custom built).

I brought up these two disks under winebottled VCC 2.0.1b on my Mac (this is quite cool, and I gather that this has only very recently become awesomely easy?):

nos96809l2v030300coco3_40d_1.dsk
nos96809l2v030300coco3_40d_2.dsk

When I do an mdir, I don't see anything that looks like rbsuper, so I'm guessing that I need to do a custom build. When you say "custom built", are you referring to building nitros9 from source? It looks like I've pulled down lwtools, toolshed and nitros9 source before but never did much with it. Time to dig in some more!

> Setting up boot disks for HDs in OS9 is no trivial matter and not for the faint at heart for sure... it's a confusing process.

I feel that I'm about to experience some character-building... :)

My end goal in all of this is to get the drive working under Basic and OS9 and then image it for posterity. I do not know yet whether my MFM emulator card will be able to make sense of the Xebec low-level format. If not, maybe I can dump a block level image over drivewire or something? Once I get it working, I don't know that I'll want to actually *do* anything with it. By the time that the CoCo 3 came around, I had already jumped ship to the Amiga world, so the whole idea of having a hard drive on a CoCo is still a weird novelty to me. I'm mostly just interested in learning about what I missed. But maybe I'll find that I like it once I get there?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/