[Coco] OT - Spam and Phishing

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 23:50:51 EST 2016

Sorry to make this off-topic post, but I have a question about spam and
phishing, and know many of you are computer experts, and there is a slight
lull in the Coco conversation right now.

Yesterday I received an e-mail, supposedly from a friend and recent
co-worker.  It looked odd so I did not open it, but right clicked the
message to look at the properties.  It showed,

"Kimberly Bombard" <rlee at greenwoodtel.com>
Subject: FWD: new product

It was obviously bogus and spoofing my friend's name.  Should I write an
e-mail to "rlee" and tell that person it looks like his or her computer has
been hacked and is being used to send out spam? My computer is pretty well
protected against invasion, and I'm quite careful about where I go on-line.
Where is the most likely leak so this spammer knew Kim and I were friends?
Kim's computer or mine, knowing that I received this e-mail from her and she
did not receive the e-mail from me?  She is listed in my contacts as "Kim
Bombard", not Kimberly, but her work e-mail address in my contacts is
Kimberly.Bombard at ...".

Comments?  And I apologize again for the OT.

--- Steve ---