[Coco] Level 1 & Drivewire

Neal Crook foofoobedoo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:43:13 EST 2016

Bill,
Block 7 of the MMU is slightly different from the others. You can map
memory into it in the same way as for all the other blocks. However, the
address region ffd0-ffdf always accesses the I/O devices: any
underlying/mapped RAM is NOT corrupted. I think that answers your question
but if I misunderstood please ask again.

Neal
I have already been looking at that Neal.  I think doing Level 2 is a
better first step, as I have been looking at everything you have so far in
hardware, and it looks like it won’t be that difficult.  I actually think
Krn will end up smaller than the CC3 version, by your using only 2
registers on the MMU rather than the CC3’s 16 plus task select register.  I
am making one assumption though on the MMU your logical block 7 is it the
same as the CC3 to use physical block $3f for the top of RAM?  The CC3 uses
physical $3f as the top of memory in the DAT registers for the top of
hardware and vectors, or is that a value that won’t make a difference what
is stored in logical block 7.

Bill Nobel

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Neal Crook <foofoobedoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill (Nobel),
>
> I checked the Drivewire spec. and found that it calls for 1 start + 8 data
> + 1 stop and that 115,200bps is a supported speed.
> I reviewed the UART RTL and ran an RTL simulation and confirmed that the
> UART is hard-wired for 1 start + 8 data + 1 stop -- and the default
> configuration runs at 115,200bps.
>
> In summary, I was incorrect to indicate any hardware impediment. It seems
> as though "all" that's needed is a version of dwio.asm that writes to a
> 6850-style UART. Are you interest in working on this?
>
> regards,
>
> Neal.
>
> On 2 January 2016 at 02:22, Chad H <chadbh74 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Using DriveWire on NitrOS9 level 1 here with my CoCo 2.  Yes, it works
>> great at 'normal' speed.   Double speed works well in HDBDOS but not with
>> the current files in the repo.  Something was broken on the newer files.
>> Should not effect NitrOS9 though.
>>
>> - Chad H
>> http://sites.google.com/site/cbhlab101/

XRoar.
>> The only thing is the standard L1 DW distro disk does not leave much
>> ram... you may need to strip out a few unneeded modules to get some
memory
>> back. The Coco 1 disks have dw drivers that run at 38400 baud (due to odd
>> serial setup) and Coco 2 disk have drivers for 57600 baud (can't double
>> speed a Coco 2).
>>
>> DriveWire works nicely on NitrOS9 L1 :-)
>>

>> Bill Pierce
>> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way to
>> slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull
>>

>> My Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3
>> https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/
>> Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
>> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
>> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
>> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>>
>> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

01/01/16