[Coco] New CoCo'er, Some Q's and looking for hardware

admin at kd8cgo.com admin at kd8cgo.com
Wed Feb 24 18:29:24 EST 2016

On 02/24/2016 10:35 PM, Barry Nelson wrote:
> For a video adapter you could also try this: https://hackaday.io/project/7366-coco-3-rgb-to-scart-to-hdmi-cable
>
> VIDEO ADAPTER DESCRIPTION
> This project will describe how to create a SCART video cable for a Tandy Color Computer 3. SCART is a European video interface standard. In my case I use a SCART to HDMI interface to allow my Color Computer 3 to display on my modern wide screen TV.
>
> Another good item to pickup is a CoCo SDC: http://cocosdc.blogspot.com
> I believe it can be obtained from: Zippster <zippster278 at gmail.com>
>
> This is VCC, is very nice CoCo 3 emulator: https://github.com/VCCE/VCC/releases
> This is a virtual hard disk image for VCC: http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/coco/Virtual%20Hard%20Drives/NitrOS-9%20L2%20V3.3.0/
>
> This site also has a ton of other software and documentation for the Color Computer: http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
>
> Welcome to the list and good luck with your CoCo 3. When you get 512k of ram, try out the Donkey Kong port that was recently done, it's pretty awesome. If you have any young relatives, show them the machine when you get it setup, they should enjoy it, and they'll learn something about computer history.

Barry, I think Zippster might be able to hook me up with some of these
components, that would be a great head start for me!  If not, that SCART
option looks like it does a pretty high quality picture too, very nice!

I had come across VCC, but it doesn't seem to have a Linux version
unless I missed it.   I'll keep an eye on it, I had thought about
looking into emulators, took a look at MAME/MESS and looked like I would
need to devote a few hours to figuring that one out, I may get around to
it though...

First I had seen of the Color Computer Archive, too!  I'm not sure how I
missed that one in my searching previously, that's a bookmark for sure.

I have some younger nieces and nephews, not local, I wonder if they are
computer geeks like I was as a kid...   There is something very pure
about booting up right into a development environment that is lost with
newer hardware, I think.  I love the Raspberry Pi, Arduino et al, but
this takes me to a time before most computers were seen as appliances...
now replaced for most with locked down proprietary smart phones and
tablets, ugh.  No one's going to learn coding on one of those, most likely.

Thanks,

--John, kd8cgo