[Coco] DriveWire

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 15:58:44 EST 2016

Tormod, what you are probably not aware of is that VCC does not speed up the hardware clock. When the CPU is overclocked, the hardware clock remains the same speed and is not accelerated with the CPU. So any sofware using the hardware clock will not be affected, but software using software timing loops will be affected. I'm not sure if DW drivers are affected by this, but I run at 89mhz in NitrOS9 most of the time and have seen no timeout issues.
A good example of this in RSDOS is "Lyra" which will play MIDI music at the exact same speed at 89mhz as it does at 1.89mhz. Lyra uses a "sleep" instruction between notes which is based on the hardware clock. Musica II on the otherhane, will speed up playback as the music is played via a software timing loop.
An OS9 example is "Ultimuse3" which will play MIDI at the correct speed with overclocked CPU.
In both programs, with overclocked CPUs, the screen refresh and graphics are alomist instantaneous, but the MIDI clock remains the same.

 On the other hand, unchecking the "Throttle Speed" in the display tab of the configuration (not recomended) will speed up ALL aspects of VCC; timing, cpu, key reads etc. This is almost unusable with todays fast computers but was a benifit with older, slower machines.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com