[Coco] format memory (was) Gotek floppy emulator

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 18 03:04:08 EST 2016

On Tuesday 16 February 2016 07:25:15 Gene Heskett wrote:

Another update way below.

> On Monday 15 February 2016 20:29:02 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> >  Gene, on both my emulator and real Coco, smap shows 11k free. As I
> > said, I can format from the cmd line, but not from within something
> > else like the boot script from the ditro disks.
> >
> > One thing I've noticed is that 3.3.0 does not like older drivers. It
> > fares better with drivers built from the same build. Are all your
> > drivers in the 3.3.0 boot current? Or did you use some of your older
> > custom drivers? I even formatted my 4 gig partions on my Glenside
> > IDE with with my current boot.
>
> I did go down & play. I also have 11k free but its fragmented.
>
> Format needs $2b70 worth of memory for its data, or 11,120 bytes.
> With the dw cable unplugged, I was able to format a 180k disk, once.
>
> But then an old problem surfaced. This hd boot never lets go of the
> startup file, rendering it read-only to anything else, which means I
> cannot edit to kill some other things I do in it, the startup file
> that could gain me some memory.  That seems to have been the scene
> since about 3.2.4 or so.  I can copy it,to a renamed file, edit it and
> save it by a different name, and once I have done that I jumped thru a
> couple hoops and managed to delete the original, but last night I
> saved it with a longer name from an older session of minted, twice,
> without finding the filename I had saved it as, so apparently my copy
> of minted can't save a renamed file.
>
> I have to plead that I've forgotten the save syntax of what I call vim
> on my system which is the tsedit with the patch that called it vi, but
> somewhere in the nitros9 history, vi became a device descriptor
> without consulting anyone who was using it as an editor, the best
> editor we ever had as it can handle a file 56k long!
>
> But no consideration to that, so someone destroyed the only editor we
> had that can handle a big file. I tested minted, and it out of memory
> at about 10k for max file size. Dynastar is unlimited, but a PITA to
> use as it only handles 8 or 10k at a time, so I had to use ded to
> rename it vim, no problem there as the original 6 byte space was still
> there. dEd was also used to rename the directory entry to vim.  And I
> had been runing it that way for quite a few years.
>
> So neither vim, nor minted, can now save an edited startup file.  Any
> other file BUT startup, no problem.
>
> The "file exists" is minteds output as it does a error exit. So
> obviously there is something in the startup file than needs an
> ampersand as its end of line. Easy to say, impossible to do when you
> cannot even edit the file.
>
> The mb.floppy script tried to run, but errored out on the standard.bl
> (this is in the 3.3.0 subdir so it would have been all 3.3.0 stuff but
> with my HD descriptors, had it worked. But the standard.bl managed to
> gain 3 dots in front of the .../MODULES/SCF/w4.dw descripter, so it
> bailed out, leaving TemBoot. minted was able to fix that, but then the
> [...]

Good luck dept:

I can format one 35 track single sided floppy, most of the time, running
format from the command line.

So, based on the subprocess theory using additional ram, I commented the
format related stuff out of a mb.floppy command.

So I format a floppy, reboot, run mb.floppy, which then does the device
name acquisition, and runs os9gen on it after creating bttemp for the
track 34 write. I have looked at the floppy with dEd /d@, and the whole
of track 34 contains the $e5 the format command left, the FAT bits are
clear, but os9gen refuses to write track 34, claiming it already has
data there. I have run the loop 5 times now, without os9gen actually
writing a track 34.

I haven't done a cmp between the os9gen on the HD, vs the one in the
3.3.0/6309l2 image currently being used as the src code.

Now, an even easier way to test this might be to incorporate a
cx /x1/cmds at the top of the mb script, and a corresponding cx /dd/cmds
at the bottom.  That way it would use the os9gen from the 3.3.0/6309l2
image.dsk for the scripts execution time.

That build is dated April 6, 2015, so the question then is: do I need to
run another git pull and refresh the build?

So that is the next thing I'll try once I've cleaned all the card edge
connectors.

Not immediately however, as today is my lady's 76th & I need to pay some
attention to her, and a tool I thought was not going to arrive until
Saturday, was in the mailbox last night when I arrived back from Home
Depot, so I can resume production of the trim bits for the blanket
chests I am making, one for each of my surviving boys. ATM, both of
those take precedence over coco stuff.

Thanks for reading this far.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)