[Coco] Gotek floppy emulator

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 14 22:25:36 EST 2016

On Sunday 14 February 2016 20:19:54 Steven Hirsch wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The bare DD drive, attached to the coco with a cable adapter CAN do
> > this, IF you can make the format command work. But format even in
> > the nitros9-v3.3.0 release, has been a 100% crash and burn for me
> > for several years.  So my mb scripts have been re-written to clean
> > up an already formatted DD disk before os9gen is invoked.  This
> > includes making a directory entry for track 34, and deleting it to
> > clear the FAT, thereby allowing os9gen to rewrite track 34,
> > otherwise it silently fails to do so.
>
> That's really odd behavior.  I'm running version 3.2,9 and format
> works fine.  My current gremlin is a complete inability to write
> anything to a Drivewire volume.  Most of the time a directory entry is
> created, but copy dies with an Error #245 leaving a zero-length file
> that I'm unable to delete (also Error 245).
>
> --
That almost sounds like the pc file needs formatted. By thge coco's
format command.  Isn't a 245 a disk change error?  If the file isn't
formatted, it may write to sector zero, and anything that modifies the
first sector is going to be a bad dog, no biscuit situation.

Does the free /xn command work, returning sensible data before you do
anything else after you have "mounted" the pc file with the drivewire
gui?

Something is aglay, thats for sure.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)