[Coco] "Ultimate" CoCoSDC Image

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 01:55:59 EST 2016

Travis, the problem I have is that everyone's idea of an "Ultimate Image" is different. To some, all the cool games on one image is the ultimate, to me... I would never use it. My ultimtate image is the very image I've created that I use every day to write software for NitrOS9. In fact, I have about 10 or 12 "Ultimate Images"... None of which contain games. Don't get me wrong, I have almost every game put out for the Coco, but I very seldom play games. To some, the ultimate image would be disk utilities, word processors and databases.
Now to put it all on one image... impossible. The max HD you can create in OS9 is 128 meg (yes I know with large clusters it can be bigger, my Glenside IDE HD runs 2x4gig partitions) and only so much will fit on 128 meg (I've tried). In RSDOS, the best you can do (without some custom programming, and I've done that too) is 256 35trk drives under HDBDOS/RGBDOS... and that's not 100% compatible, infact it's not even 75% compatible, as some things will not run unles in drive 0 and with a controller that's 100% RSDOS compatible. CocoSDC runs into the same problem, but with only 2 disks available at a time (though easily swappable). I applaud Darren's work on the CocoSDC, it's an awesome piece of hardware, but it's turned out to be about as much trouble as Drivewire or any other solution.. some things still have to patched to run properly.
Then you have the proble of some people use CocoSDC, some use DW4 VHDs, some us real floppies, some use floppy images, some use IDE HDs, some use SCSI HDs and I think we still have one or two using old MFM HDs.... Some may use any mix of the above.
What we really need, is an "Ultimate Solution"... the images are readily available to any who want them to configure into what they want.
So I've found the "Ultimate Image" is to setup what you like, in your preferred media, and use it.

 Just my 2 cents :-)

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/