[Coco] Coco 3 Memory Map Questions

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Feb 8 01:35:42 EST 2016

I know that the video memory must be constantly read by the GIME in
order to generate the display in real time.  And, the CPU can access the
memory without any wait states or contention with the video access.  I
think I've heard others explain that the GIME reads video memory 16 bits
at a time which effectively halves the number of accesses compared to 8
bit reads.  In addition to all that I assume that the GIME must also
make sure that certain address lines are stepped through sequentially in
order to keep the contents of the DRAM stable.  So it makes sense that
if you've got some tight timing for memory access that you get as much
data as possible with every cycle.  I've never sat down and figured out
all of the math behind it but it was probably a necessity to do 16-bit
access for the video memory.

Dave