[Coco] CoCo Flash

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 12:19:00 EST 2016

See inlines, below.

Brett M Gordon
On Feb 6, 2016 12:46 PM, "RETRO Innovations" <go4retro at go4retro.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate?
>
> I assume you're asking for a large RAM to be available on the expansion
port for reading and writing.

Yup.

> That... is easy, if indeed that is all that is needed.  How much RAM is
wanted?

ROM is cool, but if given the choice,  I'll take RAM.  Maybe 4 M rom, 4
Megs Ram?  I'm sure OS9 and Fuzix would love the extra RAM.  And it would
be stupid simple to make HDB use the rom or ram as drives.

> The only problems I see are:
>
>  * If you want this RAM to survive power outage (battery backed), that
>    could be a challenge unless the RAM is SRAM or a facility is created
>    to stow it on SD or ROM.
>  * SRAM gets somewhat expensive, moreso than FLASH.  One of my other
>    designs (for another platform) has 1MB of SRAM, though...
>  * DRAM cannot be easily battery backed.

Nope dont care about volitility.  And if one needs to preserve the ram then
let software can do the job. Save it to disk, or Flash.

-B