[Coco] Utility of large MPI

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Wed Feb 3 15:51:58 EST 2016

"I think that cramming to much functionality into one device could make it too expensive though."
Expensive? Possibly yes. Too expensive? possibly no. When designing multi option device there are several factors that need to be thought out. One of them is cost. If the UberCart will have SDC, RTC, networking, music, and a drive interface, how much will it cost if i want to buy carts with this functionality? Would I need an MPI? If so, add the cost of this device. And that's where each user must assess how much needs to be spent to get all the features s/he wants. Then there is the user that welcomes all this functionality, but can't afford it. More than once I have seen on this list people who (jokingly or not) say that they are saving up to buy this and that.
This brings me to broach the topic of feature creep. How many features are too many? How many people want all of them? How many will end up not buying the item because they have to pay for features that they will not use? This can be resolved by building some sort of modularity into the design, but then this might end up incurring other costs and a more complex design. (But I still like the idea of paying only for the features that you want.) Regards, Salvador