[Coco] Good news...

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Aug 27 14:14:06 EDT 2016

On Saturday 27 August 2016 11:20:51 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> He's well into retirement age but he apparently still does some
> consulting as he seems to be affiliated with a particular company. I
> didn't get into an extended discussion with him but he did give me his
> opinion on Motorola processors:
>
> "Motorola had the best microprocessors but other companies had better
> salesmen. Otherwise there might be a 68million in every PC and phone."
>

> Dave

And thats a point I'll never argue.  The 68040, given the die shrinks and
the speedups that would allow, would easily kick a lot of the small box
stuff to the curb.

Even hitachi didn't see a future in a shrunk, wider address and databus
versions of the 6309.  It could show all these arm cortex multicore cpus
the short way home.

The instruction set of those two 8 bitters, if carried to a wider address
bus of 128 bits, with a 64 bit data bus, and the addition of a 64 bit
barrel shifter for bit twiddling, would be an arm killer yet today.

But sadly, its a war that moto had decided not to fight by the time the
last amiga's were sealed in shipping boxes just north of me in PA. By
then amiga R&D had ceased, and moto's biggest customer was busy moving
the accounts and any money left to the Bahama's.

Those of us who needed the rendering power took the bait and bought the
68060 card, but got a few surprises as its instruction set had been
eviscerated so code that ran fine on the 000 thru the 040's, crashed on
the 060's. It had a replacement for the major crash causer, and a German
prof found it, and wrote a binary search and substitute that worked well
so the library's on its hard drives have all been patched.  But about
the time your arm was sore from patting ourselves on the back, another
problem came to the fore.

It seems their assembly people had been taught bass ackwards, and every
single one of the 6.3 volt rated bypass capacitors on that board were
installed reversed polarity.  Some of them even blew up!  With my tools
of the day, I was most of a day replacing them all with more like them,
but installed with the right polarity. Then it was 24hr+ uptimes.  Since
it had stuff going on all night, executed by the EzCron Jim Hines and I
co-wrote, the first thing it did after the 11 pm news was reboot itself
and get right to the video rendering of some commercials.  I have the
quickest of those machines in my basement right now, has several drives,
some occupying the space for the PSU in that A-4000-060, 2 drive cards,
a kitchen sync, and a toaster And IIRC 64 megs of dram.  But sadly,
someone threw out all the docs AND the custom wired up power supply I
had made for it due to its original's fading 5 volt supply.

As for Bud Pass, anyone who took his compo sci classes, was IMNSHO, being
taught by a true master of the craft.  I am glad he is still with us.

> On 8/26/2016 10:16 PM, Kip Koon wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> > Excellent!  That is great news!  What is Bud Pass up to these days?
> > Any programming projects?
> >
> > Kip Koon
> > computerdoc at sc.rr.com
> > http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon